If you’ve been arrested and charged with a DUI for the first time, you may be worried about what is going to happen. Though every case is different, there are some things that are common through all DUI cases. The main thing you may want to know about is what happens between your arrest and, if necessary, your sentencing. Below are some of the common steps you will go through during your case.
* Arrest, Charge, Bail – When you’re arrested, you will be charged with the DUI. The exact charge depends on if there was an accident involved, the number of previous DUI convictions you’ve had, and your blood alcohol level. Once you have been processed into the jail, you will be given a bail amount. When this is paid, you are able to be released until your hearings.
* Legal Counsel – Once you are released, you should find and hire a
* DUI Attorney in Mahopac NY
* as soon as possible. Make sure to find the right lawyer for you by looking for one who has experience, whose previous clients were satisfied, and who has reasonable fees for their service.
* Dropped or Lowered Charges – One of the first things a lawyer may try is to have your charges dropped or lowered. Whether or not this can happen depends on the details of your case. If your charges are dropped, you don’t have to do anything further.
* Trial – If your charges cannot be dropped, you can plead guilty or go to trial. At trial, you will be found guilty or innocent. If you’re found guilty, the next step is your sentencing.
* Sentencing – This is when the judge will let you know what your penalties are. DUI cases have minimum and maximum penalties, and your lawyer will help to make sure you receive the minimum amount of jail time, fines, and other penalties.
If you’ve been arrested for a DUI, these are some of the things that will happen during the duration of your case. For help with your case, you’re going to want to hire a DUI Attorney in Mahopac NY as soon as possible. If you’re not sure of where to start to find a good lawyer, you may want to take a look at. You can find a lawyer there and your lawyer will be able to let you know more specifically what will happen with your case.